Parkland: One Year Later

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parkland: One Year Later

Photo Credit: AP / Wilfredo Lee

Photo Credit: AP / Wilfredo Lee

Photo Credit: AP / Wilfredo Lee

Photo Credit: AP / Wilfredo Lee

Shaelyn Drost, Managing Editor

As February 14th approaches, the students and families of Palm Beach County are not only filled with love, but also with the remembrance of the tragedy that took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School only a year before.

Sunday, February 10th, the Boston Pops orchestra aided the healing of this grieving community by performing the original song, “Shine,” with MSD students themselves. The song was written and produced by the survivors of the massacre in the days following last year’s shooting.

“Really, this song is more of a healing experience,” said MSD junior Andrea Pena. “It’s really all about healing through arts and finding out who you truly are for yourself.”

However, many friends and family of the 17 victims express feelings of indifference toward the approaching anniversary date, opposing that each day that passes without their loved ones is just as difficult.

“The anniversary for me is really meaningless because every day for me is February 14. I feel the same way every day about losing my daughter,” said Andrew Pollack, whose daughter Meadow Pollack was killed.

“There are so many hurtful things constantly,” Annika Dworet, mother of Nick Dworet, who was also killed in the tragedy, added. “Like in the fall, when everyone is posting about their kids going to college and Nick is not. Birthdays, Thanksgiving, holidays, they all hurt.”

Contrarily, many students feel the effects of the shooting’s anniversary approaching. One sophomore said she plans to visit the grave of a classmate who was killed. Many students intend to leave town for the day, so as to not be reminded of the trauma.

Other high school and collegiate students across the country plan to hold memorial events on their campuses in honor of the students and staff of MSD who lost their lives.

“I think it’s going to be years until we’re okay,”  Eric Garner, an MSD film teacher said. “I’m not sure when that will ever happen.”