The Wave

Transgender US Military Ban

REUTERS
Back to Article
Back to Article

Transgender US Military Ban

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

Sally-Emma Calandroni, Design Editor

As of Tuesday, January 22, 2019, the Supreme Court ruled that transgender individuals are no longer to serve in the military unless they serve as their biological gender.

The Supreme Court was split, all five conservative representatives passing the bill, and the four liberal representatives being against it. The results would end in President Trump’s favor, seeing as he announced transgender individuals would no longer serve in the military due to cost expenses.

The idea was first publicly proposed by Donald Trump on this Twitter account in 2017, “The United States government will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military. Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgenders in the military would entail.”

In March 2018, the Trump administration announced that after studying the issue, it was revising its policy. The policy has an exception for transgender troops who relied on the Obama-era rules to begin the process of changing their gender, allowing them to continue to serve. The military stated last year that over 900 men and women have made the transition.

From a financial and logical standpoint, it is seemingly the better strategy to not allow transgender to serve in the military. The privacy of service members must not be infringed, meaning that no soldiers, including trans identifying, are allowed to use facilities of the opposite sex. Barracks, bathroom, showers, etc., the privacy of all service members must be respected. Service members remain combat-ready at all times, those who have transitioned medically require regular hormone treatments and follow-up visits after sex-reassignment surgery. Taxpayers also pay for these surgeries and hormone treatments.

As for how the ruling affects the trans community, it has hit them hard. Some voicing that they feel this ban bars them from leading their lives free from discrimination, seeing this as a huge step backward in progress.

Sally-Emma Calandroni, Design Editor

A creative and dedicated asset to the Wellington Wave Staff, Sally-Emma Calandroni serves as Head Design Editor and Co-Head Sports Editor.

• Transgender US Military Ban

News

WHS Dance Marathon: Another Year of Success

• Transgender US Military Ban

News

Wellington Basketball Wins Regionals Against Cypress Bay

• Transgender US Military Ban

Press Releases

WHS Varsity Basketball in Final Four

• Transgender US Military Ban

Arts & Entertainment

Opinion: Jussie Smollett’s False Attack

• Transgender US Military Ban

Student Life

Last Minute Tips to Help You Ace the SAT

• Transgender US Military Ban

News

Actor Luke Perry Dies at 52

• Transgender US Military Ban

News

Thousands of Migrant Children Sexually Abused Under U.S. Custody

• Transgender US Military Ban

Arts & Entertainment

Captain Marvel Movie Review

• Transgender US Military Ban

Arts & Entertainment

Artigras Festival 2019

• Transgender US Military Ban

Student Life

February 2019-Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Weiss

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!
Transgender US Military Ban