Palm Beach County School District Protects LGBTQ Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Haley Hartner, News Editor

On October 19th, the Palm Beach County School District revised two of its policies to further protect and ensure the equity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students.

The first change was made to the school district’s “Commitment to the Student” pledge.

The School Board made a new addition to the pledge, ensuring that educators will not discriminate against any student due to “sexual orientation, gender, gender expression and/or gender identity.” They also broadened the scope of discrimination to include student’s “political beliefs, marital status, and linguistic preference.” This update was approved and finalized within the first week of October.

The second change was made in regards to the district’s “Equity Policy.”

The Equity Policy’s intent is “to show School Board’s commitment to eliminating race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic status as predictors for academic success.” The policy also vows to have educator instruction “expand the knowledge, understanding, and awareness of LGBTQ studies and the LGBTQ social movements.” These revisions were made after the policy having been under construction for over a year–with initial drafts only including African Americans, Native Americans, and women.

While educators and school administrators have been aware of the need to protect these students, having these policies will make ensuring their wellbeing easier.

The School District of Palm Beach County’s full LGBTQ+ Critical Support Guide can be read here.