The Wave

Florida Drummer Shot, Killed by Plainclothes Police Officer

Amanda Capote, Staff Writer

On October 18th, Corey Jones, a black church musician, was shot and killed by a plainclothes police officer.

Jones, 31, finished a gig late Saturday night and ran into some car troubles on the way home. Stranded on Interstate 95, Jones called his fellow bassist, Matthew Huntsberger, for aid. At roughly 1:45 AM, Huntsberger found Jones broken down just north of West Palm Beach. After offering his help, Huntsberger called roadside assistance and left around 2:30 AM.

Forty-five minutes later, Jones was shot and killed by a police officer.

The case still has many unresolved questions, despite the official police statement that the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department issued Monday afternoon. The statement declares that officer Nouman Raja was in plainclothes and an unmarked car when he went to investigate a car that he believed to be abandoned on the side of I-95.

“As the officer exited his vehicle, he was suddenly confronted by an armed subject,” the police department said in a statement. “As a result of the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the death of the subject.”

The Jones family is devastated by the lack of information surrounding Jones’s case. Both family and friends alike find it impossible to think that Corey would ever carry a gun, as he has no criminal record. They fondly remember Corey as a happy-go-lucky guy who frequented church and loved playing drums.

“Police authority needs to be there to control society, but the policemen should be trained more on the proper times to wield their power,” Jade Chen-Young, senior, said.

According to a Washington Post, more than 780 fatal US police shootings have occurred so far in 2015. 

Amanda Capote, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Amanda and I'm also a senior here at Wellington High School. My interests include feminism and piña coladas. I spend my time writing for the Literary...

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!