The New ‘Less is More’ iPad

Johnathan Thompson, Student Life Editor

It has only been a few weeks since Apple announced the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and in the time since, the new flagship phones have sold 10 million units in the first week. However, Apple showed the world they had more up its sleeve for the year. By the process of elimination, that leaves the iPads and Macs.

Recently, in usual fashion, the heads of Apple held an event to show off the new products. The iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 along with a new iMac that has a 5K Retina Display were the main attractions.

With the all-new iPad Air 2, Apple made the device thinner than ever before. Now the tablet is only 6.1 mm thin, while the last generation was 7.5 mm. The Air 2 is thinner than a pencil and the graphics on stage showed two Air 2s stacked on top of each other and they were still thinner than the original iPad. Inside the device is a new A8X chip with a M8 coprocessor that makes the iPad faster and has a battery that lasts up to 10 hours. Aesthetics are no surprise to the average consumer. The colors are Space Gray, Silver, and yes, of course, there’s a Gold one. The home button is also a Touch ID sensor, which is new for the iPad.

The iPad Mini 3 has mostly stayed the same. It’s still chugging along with the previous generation iPad Mini A7 with the M7 coprocessor. It’s still the same size and weight as the predecessor. The only thing that has changed is the Touch ID sensor has been added and the colors are the usual three.

A new iMac was announced last week to go along with the iPads. An all-new 27-inch iMac was unveiled to the audience. What made it different from the standard iMac is that it comes with a 5K Retina Display. Other than that, it has a 4GHz processor instead of a 3.5 like on the standard iMac.

For the iPad Air 2, prices start at the $499 standard and go all the way up to $829 depending on whether you get a Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and mobile carrier version. iPad Mini 3 ranges from $399 to $729. Both models come in 16, 64, and 128 GB memory spaces and are on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile carriers. As for the iMac, be prepared to drop $2,499. Buyers can also customize their iMac and max it out to almost $9,000. All of the devices announced are now available to purchase at the nearest Apple Store.