The Ban on E-cigarettes

The+Ban+on+E-cigarettes+

Mallory Cortellesso, Media Editor

First, cities banned smoking in most public places such as restaurants, coffee shops and parks. Now, cities are moving to snuff out the use of smokeless electronic cigarettes as well. New York City was the first city to ban electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, in public places where tobacco smoking is restricted, including restaurants, parks, bars, nightclubs, beaches and workplaces, now it has become a part of a growing national trend toward regulating the devices.

A Center for Disease Control and Prevention study found that nearly 1.8 million young people had tried e-cigarettes, and the number of U.S. middle and high school student e-smokers doubled between 2012 and 2013.

“I see kids walking around my school all the time smoking e-cigarettes or “vap” pens. It’s becoming more and more popular among us teens because you don’t need to be a certain age to get them; anyone can buy them,” Nichola Lyons, senior, said.

Wellington High School recently sent out an e-mail to all parents of WHS students regarding the recent trend of e-cigarettes being used by middle and high schools students. Mario Crocetti, WHS principal, said, “Students may not solicit, use, or possess on their persons or in their vehicles e-cigarettes, any other nicotine or smoking devices, or related products and accessories such as lighters, e-liquid, atomizers, rolling papers, etc. Violations will be handled the same as tobacco use.”

The fear is that middle school and high school students may take up e-cigarettes, become addicted to nicotine, and may even graduate to smoking traditional cigarettes without knowing the full health effects of their actions.

The most widely publicized study into the safety of e-cigarettes was one in which researchers analyzed two leading brands and concluded that the devices did contain trace elements of hazardous compounds; including a chemical called Diethylene Glycol which is the main ingredient found in antifreeze.

The number of people being poisoned by e-cigarettes has soared in the last few years. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention found that the number of calls to poison centers in the U.S. relating to the liquids found in e-cigarettes has risen from one per month in September of 2010, to 215 per month in February of 2014.

Media conveys the perception that e-cigarettes are safe and that they help an individual quit smoking traditional cigarettes. However, before giving into what modern media professes, it is important to look up the facts about this product because e-cigarettes are not what they are advertised.