“Bring Back Our Girls”

Gabrielle Harris, Editor-in-Chief

On April 15th, almost 300 girls were kidnapped from their school in Nigeria, the Chibok Government Secondary School by the Boko Haram Terrorists. It has now almost been a month since the tragic event occurred and all of the girls are still missing.

The group, of the Boko Haram Terrorists has already claimed that they were responsible for the kidnappings and also threatened through a video message that they would sell the girls and force them to marry.

The phrase #BringBackOurGirls was brought to Twitter when people decided it was necessary for this tragedy to be brought to the attention of people in higher office and the world at large. The hash tag has been tweeted over 800,000 times. Hollywood’s finest are also now tweeting the hash tag along with a photo attached of them holding onto a sign that reads “Bring Back Our Girls”. Alicia Keys, Angelina Jolie, and Emma Watson are a few of the many celebrities are taking part in raising the awareness of the Nigerian school girls. Malala Yousafzai, 16-year-old education activist, in a CNN interview stated that the kidnapped students were her “sisters”. First lady, Michelle Obama also has a photo of herself holding a sign reading “#Bring Back Our Girls” that has brought in much attention to the situation. Malala and Michelle Obama are two of the high profile figures for this campaign. People are hoping that the power of social media will change something and help find almost 300 Nigerian school girls from the Boko Haram Terrorists.

In order to get involved, you can tweet the hash tag to increase awareness of the Nigerian school girls of like their Facebook page “Bring Back Our Girls” to find out more ways to get involved on finding the girls.