Florida Left Winter-less?

Rhys Asplundh

Jamie Zeldman, Staff Writer

Florida has been unusually warm this “winter” season. With the sunniest winter climate in the eastern United States, and the highest average January temperatures in the nation, Florida is known for being sunny all year round. Nevertheless, these temperatures seem to be increasing each year, to the point where South Florida hasn’t experienced a cold front longer than a few days.

“I don’t like how our time for bonfires is so short! It should be winter all year…hoodie season!” Ryan Smolchek, senior, said.
According to NOAA’s National Weather Service, strong high pressure over the state is blocking cold fronts from reaching this far south. The result: temperatures well above the average.

“It’s actually normal for Florida to be a little on the cooler side, with highs in the 70s, instead of highs pushing 80,” Karen Clawson, environmental teacher, said.
The root of the cause is what used to be considered ‘global warming.’ However, now it is referred to as ‘climate change.’

“Some areas are experiencing colder temperatures and wetter seasons, drier seasons, etc. So we now go by the term ‘climate change.’ The vast majority of climatologists do believe that there is a drastic change in our climate, which is usually measured over a thirty year period,” Clawson said.

“2012 had been the warmest and second most-extreme year on record for the contiguous US that included drought, wildfires, hurricanes,” according to NOAA.
Students have different opinions on the commonly known as “bipolar” Florida winter weather trends.

“I am upset. Florida is a disappointment and I can’t wait to move away. One day it’s chilly which gives me hope for a longer than three day cold front, but the next day it’s burning hot!” Sara O’Boyle, senior, said.

“No, I’m not upset about the hot temperatures. I’m more amazed on how the weather during winter can be so called ‘beach perfect’… only in Florida,” Alina Perez, sophomore, said.

The sunshine state isn’t letting down its nickname. There’s still hope for a mild winter season throughout February, yet for now, South Florida continues to have its warm, eighty degree winter season.