Technology in Classrooms

Technology in Classrooms

Abbygail Reid

Abbygail Reid, Student Life Editor

In some classrooms, iBooks have replaced textbooks and iPads have trumped book bags. The integration of technology in classrooms has become very prevalent in the 21st century. Many schools have found the change quite advantageous.

During its quarterly earnings call on July 24, Apple announced that it sold 500,000 Mac Book laptops to schools during the previous quarter—an all-time high for the tech company. It also announced that it sold 1 million iPads to high schools and colleges, doubling its iPad sales to schools during the same quarter a year ago.

In some schools, students prepare video yearbooks that can be delivered to their classmates’ cell phones. In still others, teachers ask students a question, and they punch in their answers with clickers that look like TV remote controls.

In fact, in one of our own classes at Wellington High, we make use of the “clicker”, which students can use to quickly plug in their answers which are recognized by the computer if doing a quiz or any other activity. This method is widely used in Mrs. Davis’s chemistry classes and the students greatly appreciate it. “Once the quiz is over the teacher and the students get immediate feedback, so the students get see what areas to work more on and I can see what to cover more in depth,” Mrs. Davis, Chemistry Honors and Pre AP teacher, said.

Mrs. Davis also uses Edmodo, which the students like to call educational Facebook, so the students and the teacher can communicate outside of the classroom and she can post video tutorials and quizzes.  “We should mirror what is being done outside the classroom inside the classroom to keep the students interested,” Mrs. Davis, said.

So why are more schools integrating technology now more than ever before? Well for one, technology is now more widely available. More importantly, technology offers the teachers and students with much more advantages than just plain textbooks and it keeps the students more interested in class.

For instance, beginning this fall, all Orlando Science Schools students will be issued an iPad for use at home and at school. But there is a condition: students must maintain a still-to-be-determined GPA in order to continue using the iPad, and those who fall below the target will forfeit use of the tablet. This is a great incentive for students to get better grades and this will most likely result in a higher average GPA for the school because students will want to keep their iPads.

In the end, I think that integrating technology in classrooms will become an integral part of most curriculums in America. Teachers are now realizing that in order to reach out to students and get them involved and excited in class they have to become more technological.