Don’t Intoxicate Your Best Friend!

Valentina Franco, Staff Writer

With a recent surge in the substance abuse among the teenagers of The United States. According to the “Casa Columbia”, three-quarters of high school students have used addictive substances such as cigarettes, alcohol and marijuana; additionally, 46 percent of all high school students currently use addictive substances regularly. This rise in the use of addictive substances has many negative consequences for the student himself, the family of the student, and those surrounding the student.

With drug use−specifically marijuana−at an all time peak and the constant exposure of drug use on social media, there a growing trend of teenagers exposing their pets to certain illegal substances. The most common of these practices is teens blowing marijuana smoke around the snout area of an animal, attempting to sedate it. Giving dogs and cats alcohol is also a common occurrence. Former Wellington High School student, Diana Sierra, says, “I’ve even seen some of my former co-workers post pictures of their dog drinking whiskey.”

These practices are extremely harmful to these pets. According to the “Examiner”: in the past four years, 213 cases of dogs with clinical signs of THC poisoning were recorded. Possible effects of this poisoning include slowed heart rate, urinary incontinence, vomiting, pneumonia and sometimes even death. Dogs are also commonly given alcohol, which causes the same, if not more, side effects than marijuana. Alcohol in a dog’s system causes hypotension, comas, and death.

In cats, the inhalation of smoke mainly causes tissue damage, air way swelling, mucus production, bacterial infections in the airways, and trachea inflammation.

Despite knowing the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol on an animal, many teenagers continue to expose their pets to such substances. Pets are completely dependent on their owners; a pet cannot make decisions, unlike their owners, a pet cannot say, “No!”