Phone Addiction

Phone Addiction

Getty Images

Selia Vargas, Staff Writer

Most students at Wellington High School are very attached to their cellular device. “Those who use their phone constantly, more than three hours a day, have a higher chance of getting nomophobia” Sanjay Dixit, researcher said. Nomophobia is the fear of being without your cellphone.
Cellphones are handy and as technology advances they are used for more than simply communication. Now students can play on apps, check social media, email, listen to music, and shop online. Students rely on their phones for mostly everything. “You can do everything on a phone these days like check your bank account, listen to music, read books, social media,” Rodrigo Amado, senior, said, “this is how a lot of people keep their social life sometimes.”
Most students don’t know they are addicted to their phone until they are left without it. Research shows that 73 percent of Americans would feel “panicked” if they lost their mobile phone, while 14 said they would feel “desperate” without their device.
“I text my friends frequently, check social media and sports apps often. I don’t think I can live without my phone because it’s very useful and important in my everyday life.” Brian Nowaczyk, senior, said.
The type of phone one owns can effect level of addiction. There are different brands of phones out there that are more advanced than others. “I don’t have a phone worth being addicted to,” Alix Krolick, junior, said, “there’s a limit on what can be done on a phone. It is an easy way of communication and people take advantage of it.”
Students have become so dependent on their mobile that discovering it is out of charge or simply misplacing it sends stress levels soaring. Nomophobia is a real addiction, that can be resolved. “I think phone addiction is rampant in our school.” Lucas McConnell, senior, said.
Some students have strong sort attachment to their phones, while others are flat out addicted. Students can avoid phone addiction by simply turning off their phone and putting it out of reach for a while. Phones are a great way for easy communication, but students shouldn’t depend on them to live their lives.