An Empty Resume

Photo credit: Jessica Small

Briana Erickson, Co-Editor In Chief

There’s the store. The product has been advertised for months. Today’s the big debut. Walking into the store, the tension builds. But, the truly desired product is nowhere to be seen. Looking left and right, the excitement turns to emptiness. It was never really here. It was all hype. And empty promises.

Colleges find resumesd are hype and useless, empty promises. Students whose involvement in a myriad of clubs is in-name only.

Because the pressure is on. The competition is fierce. Like a lion growling at its prey, colleges like to see stand outs among the piles of applicants. So, how can aspiring college students shine through? Club activities are the answer.

REsumes that will count are when the stu8dent develops a club. One with a purpose and a drive. Clubs that start.. and finish with a bang.

“Some clubs that are started by students are hot and heavy for a while, but then they finish what they intended to do and then die out,” Mr. Marshall, club advisor at Wellington, said.

A club with a drive would be Think Pink, Kids. I t started with a purpose to help with breast cancer. Four months after starting up, they put together the Think Pink Walk to raise funds. Thisis an example of dedication to the club the students are participating in.

These students have a reason to put that on their resume.

Another thing that kids do is sign up for clubs like crazy. It’s called club stacking. Do you think that being on the roster in a dozen clubs will satisfy the admissions?

If you answered yes, you’d better think! Participation in activities the clubs hold isn’t a factor for most club stackers. Is lying worth getting into college? Club stacking might not even be in the applicant’s best interest. Sure, one will get a lot of references for his or her resume, but just being listed as a member might even hurt you.

“Colleges view more positively if you’re heavily involved in a few clubs, or hold a leadership role,” Marshall said.

They favor this over a student listed in each and ever club.

So many clubs. No real involvement. Is it worth it?

Don’t be dissappointing. Nobody wants false hope. Colleges should be told the truth. And, when you’re looking to apply for college, double check if you’re actually interested in the clubs before you sign up. No empty promises should be in your resume. It’s better to sell something that is genuinely offered.