Celebrating Halloween In School

Mya Mandell, Staff Writer

Scary costumes, yummy candy, free spirits. Halloween has always been looked upon by the youth as one of the most exciting days of the year.

The holiday originally began around 2,000 years ago with the Celts, who now live in today’s Ireland, United Kingdom and France. They celebrated a holiday called Samhain, which commemorated the end of the year, which took place on November 1st. It was the ending of the harvest and the beginning of a long, hard, cold winter.

During this time, many animals and people died in the frigid weather. The Celts say that spirits roamed and haunted the grounds. They wanted the spirits gone and decided to dress up in costumes and scream and try to scare the spirits away. Thus, creating the costume part of Halloween.

The candy came from the Celts getting hungry from running around and chasing the spirits, so they began to beg from door to door for food. This finally created the ‘Trick or Treat’ factor of Halloween.

When I was little, I loved dressing up for Halloween and going to school in costumes, but since then times have changed. Most elementary schools are even banning Halloween costumes because they are becoming too vulgar and inappropriate.  Are schools forcing kids to grow up a lot faster then before?

The most concerning factor for administrators at school is that students will come to school in the  obvious “trashy” looking costumes. However, the easiest way to fix this problem is to enforce the dress code.

For the last year and for the next couple years, Halloween is going to be occurring on a school day, so students should be allowed to have some fun with it, and wear costumes.

Halloween is personally one of my favorite holidays and is the one day a year we can dress however we want and not be made fun of, so we should be allowed to embrace it, keep up the tradition, and dress up in school.