The Wave

Review: Logic Brings Back 90’s Vibe With Young Sinatra IV

Javier Sarache, Multimedia Editor

[7.9 / 10]

Sir Robert Bryson Hall II also known as the rapper Logic, released his fourth album YSIV (Young Sinatra IV) on September 28th.

Logic’s 14 track album consists of stacked features, such as Jaden Smith, the whole Wu-Tang Clan, Hailee Steinfeld, Wale and many more. This has earned his spot as a 2018 Grammy nominee.

Although most of Logic’s tracks on YSIV are five minutes or longer, he truly captures the authentic young Sinatra vibe with the assistance of his producer Arjun “6ix” Ivatury. 6ix has helped Bobby create beats for years on albums and mixtapes. He allows it to fit in perfectly with Logic’s flow style.

He starts off his album with a track titled “Thank You,” featuring Lucy Rose and The Rattpack. In this, he begins the song continuing the story of Kai and Thomas who were last mentioned in previous album Everybody, explaining how they are getting closer to their final destination, Planet Paradise, where they plan to save the human race. Logic started this story in his first album Under Pressure and has continued it throughout all albums following. The song ends with four minutes of fans from all over the world leaving a brief voicemail on how Logic’s music changed their life.

Through the entire album, he emphasizes the idea that he made it as one of the greatest and that mumble rap will not be remembered or relevant in the future. This commercial mixtape, the fourth volume in the Maryland natives series, comes five years after his release in this series. He manages to snatch the No. 2 spot on the charts and sold 173,472 copies with 128,806 of those being pure sales, significantly better than March’s Bobby Tarantino ll.

He ends the YSIV series with the longest track on the album titled “Last Call,” which lasts a total of 10:46. He is reminiscing over his early life, childhood, family, friends, and music. He emphasizes the state of happiness and being yourself in the process. He explains his hardships and childhood memories, but also keeping his positive side to the topics. The outro also gives us a look into the future of Logic’s career. It’s very similar to Kanye West version of “Last Call” on his album The College Dropout. Both songs exchange between rap verses and extended parts of spoken word sections that explain their come-up story.

Logic made a rap album that speaks to the rappers and rap records that inspired him to take him to where he is now. Not only did Logic sell people on his future, but he has also encouraged people to reach back into his past.

Javier Sarache, Multimedia Editor

Javier Sarache Jr. is an active member of Wellington High School's Slam Poetry Team and has performed in many spoken-word shows WHS' Literary Magazine...

• Review: Logic Brings Back 90’s Vibe With Young Sinatra IV

Editorial

What Shutdown Could Mean for Incoming College Freshmen

Press Releases

Tutu Infinity and Beyond 5K

Press Releases

Campus Beautification Day January 12

News

Trump Foundation to be “Dissolved” Amid Allegations of Illegality

Student Life

December 2018 Teacher Spotlight — Mr. Swan

Sports

Wolverine Buzzer Beater Vs. Olympic Heights

News

UCF Fans Show Support for Milton After Injury

Arts & Entertainment

Review: Bohemian Rhapsody, The Story of Queen

News

Watch For Falling Iguanas During Cold Snaps

Editorial

Opinion: Tear Gas in Tijuana – What Our Reaction Means for Us

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!