Nickelodeon Rebooting The ’90s

Elizabeth Deuschle, Staff Writer

Russell Ricks, the president of content and development at Nickelodeon recently had an interview with Vanity that revealed the company was thinking about rebooting old shows from the ‘90s.

The old shows are to return so that the young adults that grew up watching them can pass their entertainment on to their own children.

Ricks also stated that Nickelodeon is simply listening to the people now, working hard to do what the consumers crave. However, that may not be the only goal in mind.

It is no huge secret that in terms of popularity, Nickelodeon is in the lower class of children’s networks, usually overshadowed by the classic Disney or the innovative Cartoon Network.

Many of the programs on Nickelodeon nowadays are sequels to previous hits or  are new, unpopular, adaptations.

For example, the story of a super-powered family, Thundermans, ranks a 5.6/10 on IMDb and a 4.3/10 on TV.com, meanwhile a cross-over of  two relatively older shows, Victorious and iCarly, got a 5.9/10 on IMDb and a 7/10 on TV.com.

The newer concept scored significantly lower than the sequel and it seems Nickelodeon is beginning to understand the trend.

The average rating for classic ‘90s shows was 7-9 out of 10. The feeling remains.

When approached many older students agreed with the company’s decision to reboot the older shows and that bringing back them back many help with viewership.