Cartoon Conspiracies

Cartoon+Conspiracies

Erin Bryant, Press Release Editor

Easter is just around the corner and Disney is famous for its Easter eggs. Easter eggs are intentional hidden messages or jokes within movies, television, and video games. These features have lead to some pretty amazing interpretations. Surprisingly, many of the beloved Disney movies are linked in some way.

For example, Jane from Tarzan and Belle from Beauty and the Beast are most likely related. The song ‘Doo Bad Shi Doo’ in ‘Tarzan’ shows the gorilla Terk playing a tea set that looks at exactly like Mrs. Potts, Chip, and the rest of the collection. In addition, Belle resembles Jane, right down to the large, yellow dress.

Terk

Many people theorize that Belle is an older relative of Jane. Jane inherited the tea set from her or the assortment of pieces was passed down through the generations.

Jane and Belle are not the only pair of trans-movie relatives. Hercules and Ariel are also family members. In mythology, Hercules is the son of Zeus, who is Poseidon’s brother. Poseidon also has a son, Triton.

Triton is Ariel’s father and Hercules cousin.

While they may not be related by blood, the princesses of Arendelle, Ana and Elsa, and Rapunzel from Tangled have a connection. Ana’s song ‘For the First Time in Forever’ very clearly depicts Rapunzel (post-haircut) and Eugene (Flynn Rider) walking into the kingdom.  Some believe that Ana and Elsa’s parents died trying to attend Rapunzel’s coronation.

This hypothesis usually accompanies the belief that the shipwreck in The Little Mermaid was the ship of the king and queen of Arendelle.

Geography backs these theories up. Frozen, judging by the opening song, was set in Norway. Rapunzel is in Germany. In between these countries is the North Sea, which is where Ariel lives.

Map

“This theory makes me wonder whether Ariel could have saved Ana and Elsa’s parents like she saved her prince,” Taylor Green, sophomore, said.

Moreover, Genie of Aladdin is a time traveler. The movie seems to be set in the 1300s. Despite this, the Genie uses many pop culture references including Jack Nicholson, Arsenio Hall, and Rodney Dangerfield impressions. He also uses and represents modern inventions such as cars and electric lights.

Further proof of this is Genie’s lamp and the magic carpet in the movie The Princess and the Frog.  This movie takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana in the early 1900s.

Lamp

Carpet

“Genie is one of the best characters in Disney. He is hilarious and so powerful,” Andre Paul, junior, said.

The animators and writers at Disney are very crafty. There are many more theories and Easter eggs that will remain unproven, until Disney lovers “prove” otherwise.