The Wave

Superhero Science

Erin Bryant, Press Release Editor

The world of comic books is utterly remarkable; it’s filled with spectacular people paired with seemingly impossible tasks, a hunger of justice, and powers that reach further than those of any ordinary human. There is only one way to make them better: add science. Science is the way to uncover what makes superheroes so awesome.

Super speed is a classic superpower. It was first bestowed upon Jay Garrick who took the name “The Flash.”

Speed is amazing for the obvious reasons, but there is more behind it than people think.

Since it takes time for stimuli to reach to the brain and be processed, technically, we all are living in the past as we cannot perceive what is truly “now.” The Flash, on the other hand, is not. He can run and process information at the speed of light

. He can also heal at speeds quicker than ours due to this increased neurological function.

“I was very excited to learn about the biology behind The Flash. His abilities go far beyond what I expected,” said Jazmin Alvarez, a sophomore and a comic enthusiast.

However, things are not all fun and games when discussing the science of super speed. If The Flash were to pick up a wounded girl and bravely run her to the nearest hospital, she would be dead before he got her there.

According to Newton’s First Law of Motion, an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by a force. This is also true for an object in motion; therefore, if the girl and The Flash accelerate at the speed of light, her brain would crash into her skull. When she stops her brain would crash into the other side, effectively turning it into useless mush.

Spiderman is the most popular character from the Marvel universe according to International Business Times.

After a bite from a radioactive spider and the death of his uncle, Peter Parker was given many powers (including super strength, speed, grip, and his notable “spidey-sense”) and an opportunity to save the people of his city, New York. The web-slinger is known for his red and blue suit and his web-shooters, which he both made himself.

Spider webbing is incredibly strong. Its tensile strength is five times that of steel. The miracle material can have many practical applications, but its structure remains largely a mystery.

Recently there have been great discoveries that may help people use spider webbing and its properties just as Peter Parker did.

Professor Randy Lewis of Utah State University has been working with the genes of spiders and goats to try to crack the code. He has isolated the web-synthesis gene and transplanted it into various goat test subjects. The modified goats produce milk containing an extra protein, which is extracted and spun into spider silk thread. Despite the fact that they are spider-goat hybrids, they live as regular farm animals.

“Anytime we can use science to better our lives is fantastic. The silk will work well in prosthetics, [skin] grafting, and textiles,” Mrs. Thomas, biology teacher, said.

Superman is the oldest superhero. He is the epitome of a hero and has a laundry list of powers.

Many of these powers can be attributed to his home planet, Krypton. The Man of Steel was sent to Earth by his parents after his father discovered that their planet would soon explode due to its super-heavy core. The core gave the planet a powerful gravitational force. Organisms on Krypton were built as tough as Kevlar in order to survive.

Superman landed in Smallville, Kansas as a baby where he was founded and adopted by the kindly Kent family, but this did not change his origin. His body was built for a strong gravitational so a weaker one would let him be able to “leap tall buildings,” “run faster than a speeding bullet,” and “bend steel.”

This explanation does not hold up. If he were to walk at the average speed of three miles per hour, he would bounce like an astronaut on the moon. Dialing a phone would be impossible because he would crush it.

Comic books are fiction. Science is reality. The two paired together make a team of Batman-Robin proportions.

• News

Wellington students meet, discuss Douglas shooting

• Superhero Science

Student Life

Sweethearts for the Stay

• Superhero Science

Arts & Entertainment

Chance Makes History

• Superhero Science

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Animal Abuse Accusations

• Superhero Science

Opinion

Age Bias in Elections

• Superhero Science

Sports

Football Game Summary

• Superhero Science

Press Releases

Homecoming Events

• Superhero Science

News

Hurricane Hacks

• Superhero Science

Student Life

A Brand New Exposure: The Future of Photo Club

• Superhero Science

News

Supreme Court Split on Texas Abortion Case

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!
Superhero Science