Bringing Fashion Back

Daryl Denton, Staff Writer

Just about anywhere someone goes a pair of converse can be spotted, paired with “high-waisted” shorts, along with a choker necklace. These fashion items are mostly worn by teenagers all over, but may have once been worn by their own parents.

Featured in the picture to the left is an outfit including a pair of vintage loafers, matched with printed pants and a black sweater. The combinations are endless with these vintage pieces.

These fashion musts can be found at thrift stores like Goodwill or World of Thrift. The sweater pictured was found at Goodwill for $3.00 and along with the loafers, were found at World of Thrift for $7.00. The pair of loafers from World of Thrift are only $7.00. This price can be compared to the $100 priced loafers from retail shops. The loafers were in tiptop shape leaving your wallet also in tiptop shape. These places can help out high school students in need of style and style for cheap.
“It’s giving something a new meaning because someone lost interest and value in something, but then someone else finds it to be a really cool shirt,” Emily Fonticiella, sophomore said. “It’s as if it gained new value and meaning because some new love was put into it.” Vintage styles can create uniqueness in an outfit and can sometimes reflect meaning in them. A phrase heard often can apply; “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

This retro style can be seen in the Grease movies or even parents high school yearbooks. Seen in many episodes of Full House, 2004 T.V. series, the high school daughter D.J. wears “high-waisted” jeans and leather jackets. From the 90’s through 2014 leather jackets are still being worn in the fashion world. “High-waisted” jeans, shorts and pants is a big trend that is sold in thrift stores to high end fashion labels.

Vintage style is everywhere. New York Fashion Week this past week featured many vintage looks on the runway. Even celebrities have been spotted thrifting such as Lorde, Kylie Jenner, and even Macklemore, who wrote a song about thrift shopping.

“People who admire the fashion from different ‘eras’ are able to replicate that style through clothes made today that become one-of-a-kind,” Jazmyne Fabre, sophomore, said.
Well respected designer Marc Jacobs, specifically known for his fresh outlooks on vintage apparel, has been inspired by making vintage also feel contemporary. His runways feature retro styles such as 60’s woman skirts and 70’s retro neon printed tops.

“It’s stylish and has lots of possibilities for less about trends and more about style.” Mara Green, sophomore said.
Vintage gives a new meaning to fashion. It allows for creativity and exploration of the boundaries. Retro styles show people how to push the limits just right. It’s proves trends always come back around and that parents ‘awful’ high school style isn’t all that awful.

“Vintage Clothing is not only glorious and stylish-it’s also the way forward in terms of recycling. Whenever I go into great vintage stores, I wonder why we ever buy new things,” Thandie Newton, British actress said.