The Book or the Movie?

The Book  or the Movie?

Getty Images

Mya Mandell, Entertainment Editor

Are the movies truly better than what the books portray? Almost every book that has been published in the last 10 years has been adapted into a movie.

Books have been transferring into movies for a long time. Many classics like “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Of Mice and Men” and “Gone with the Wind have been turned into films.

Students who enjoy reading frequently are most likely going to prefer the book version rather then the student who prefers to sit and watch movies. Reading is a more tedious activity that requires more time than watching a two-hour movie. Reading a 400 page book is obviously going to take more time and focus. ]

“Books are under all your own control, and you can invent and imagine the situation any way you want,” Sarah Workman, sophomore, said.

Reading allows the brain to imagine how the characters will look, how the setting will be portrayed and how the speaker will sound. Most importantly, the ending is more of a surprise and lasts longer. In a movie, everything is laid out for a person and the endings aren’t as much of a mystery.

Genres of movies and books are both similar with romance, comedy, horror, and mystery.
Series of movies are also created, such as “The Hunger Games,” “Harry Potter,” and “The Twilight Saga.” Authors make a profit from both productions. At a recent convention at The Boston Book Festival, authors discussed the pros and cons of having their books released into movies.

Rachel Cohn, the writer of “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist,” stated, “It’s pretty friggin cool; it’s like having a two hour advertisement for your book.” Everyone goes and views the movie, and then most likely afterwards purchases the book, which means even more money for the author and the production.

“ When producing a movie, it is nothing like writing a book, your visions can’t always be produced, and the characters are not always as perfect as you expected them to be.”

“Authors shouldn’t be in charge of writing the scripts to the movies and leave it to the professional,” Buzz Bissinger, the author of “Friday Nights Lights,” said.