Music Makes You Smarter?

Lauren Alsina

Mya Mandell, Staffer

According to recent studies in many colleges, listening to music while studying or doing homework improves focus skills and test scores.

The genre of music plays a big part in this theory: jazz or instrumental music seems to be most conductive for getting work done. Music with vocals can be a distraction and create the temptation to go off task and sing along rather than do work. Then again, memorizing song lyrics stimulate activity and is good for the brain.
“When it comes to math or physically doing work, I always listen to music, but when I read I get really distracted and can’t focus with music on,” Cheyenne Pearson, freshman, said.
The biggest factor, of course is the individual listening, characterizes of someone can affect whether or not music is beneficial to his or her learning.

At the University of Wales a study was done to see if this hypothesis could be proven to be true. Five different scenarios were set up, where students were placed inside and all took the same test. The test rooms included a quiet room, a steady state room where one word was said repeatedly, a changing state room where many different words were said repeatedly, a room were “liked music “was played such as pop music and a “disliked music” room that played hardcore metal.

The psychologists conducting the experiment predicted that the room with constant changing words would have the lowest test scores. In the end, none of the scores showed any significant differences. So does music really help?

“I honestly feel that music helps me to focus better and puts me in a calmer mood where I can just block out the world,” Olivia Burns, senior, said.

New Jersey Institute of Technology has acknowledged possible benefits of listening to music. Students who listen to music on a regular basis were more likely to have higher test scores than students who listen to music less often.

Music with 50-80 beats per minute such as “We Can’t Stop’ by Miley Cyrus and “Suit and Tie” by Justin Timberlake allows the brain to learn things more quickely and remember new processed information.

Wellington High School doesn’t allow both headphones in student’s ears at the same time and less often allows music playing in classrooms, is this setting back our learning abilities? “We should be allowed to listen to music while doing work or testing because it could potentially help students and boost test scores and grades.” Sydney Downs, sophomore, said.