The Craze Behind The Hunger Games

Samantha Pescatore, Business Manager

Recently, The Hunger Games has captivated audiences all around the world. The Hunger Games is the first book in the series written by Suzanne Collins. In the story, Katniss, the brave and beautiful protagonist, is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of the country of Panem; the remains of what used to be North America.

Long ago, the districts waged war on the Capitol of Panem and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl, between the ages of 12 and 18, to appear in an annual televised event called, “The Hunger Games.” The rules are simple, twenty-four go in, and only one comes out alive. Katniss volunteers in her sister’s place, with only one motive: to get out alive for her family.

“Katniss would have to be my favorite (character). She is such a strong female protagonist, which is so rare in popular books,” Sydney Kenney, junior, said.

Millions of teenagers, adults, kids, and even some grandparents are caught up in The Hunger Games madness. The movie made the most money on opening weekend than any other movie this year. According to fanpop.com, Hunger Games made 152.5 million dollars on opening weekend.

“I think people get sucked in because they want to see what happens in the end, who Katniss ends up with, what the Capitol’s plans are, and who survives. It’s a great story throughout the trilogy,” Olivia DiCarlantonio, senior, said.

Many who have read the trilogy have mixed emotions towards the newly released movie.

“I was really happy with the movie! Of course I wish it could have been longer because they did cut out a lot of background information and scenes, but I think if they had to cut stuff out they took the right stuff out! Overall I loved it,” Kelsie Boudreau, sophomore, said.

Currently, the Hunger games cast is preparing for the next movie, Catching Fire, which is rumored to be released in November 22, 2013. The major concerns for the cast though is Jennifer Lawrence’s (Katniss) prior commitments to other movies, and who will play the roles of new important characters in the next movie. But, as of now, the movie is still on track with being released in November 2013.

There will defiantly be high expectations for the next movie. The Hunger Games has invaded the literature world and movie industry. Who knows how much fire The Hunger Games well unleash in the next movie?