Award Winning Poets Visit WHS

Briana Erickson

Briana Erickson, Entertainment Editor

A multitude of snaps erupted from the Wellington High School theatre Friday, January 20th, during sixth period.

Wellington was lucky to be graced with the presence of two professional poets. In town for the eight annual Palm Beach County Poetry Festival in Delray Beach, Vanessa Hidary, also known as the “Hebrew Mamita”, and Jamaal May recited a few poems to a crowd of Wellington High School pupils, who hung onto their every word.

Jamaal May, from Detroit, was fully equipped in his purple converse, black rimmed glasses, and his very own handmade heart shaped leggo pin pinned to the left side of his pocket shirt. He wears it while he recites his poems. Right above his heart.

With his enthusiastic and thrusting arms, May decided to recite about fear. He conveyed to the audience his poem, titled “Macrophobia”, which means the fear of waiting. The best way he describes it, as he flashes his pearly whites with a smile, is that it is a “love poem. Kinda.”

May, a man who was always “introverted” and “fearful of speaking in crowds,” spoke to Wellington with ease, and passionately delivered his rhymes and verses. His verses used to belong to his hip-hop group before he decided to enter his first poetry venue.

Before he realized to face his fear of crowds. Before he realized that “you can’t grow in life if you keep doing what you’re good at.”

May closed his performance with a dedication to David Blair, a poet who performed at the Wellington High theatre last year, and who passed away this summer. “A great friend of mine,” May said. Blair, an insanely big inspiration in May’s poetry career, was honored and paid tribute to with May’s beautiful recitation of Blair’s poem “Out There.”

Vanessa Hidary, from NYC, was introduced by May, with a supportive and encouraging tone. He coaxed the audience to snap our fingers every time we think we’re “feeling” what she’s saying. And, when Hidary performed “PhD in Him”, a very anti-male poem, it is needless to say that there were a great many snaps coming from all the heartbroken teen girls in the room.

Vanessa’s poem titled “Hebrew Mamita”, about prejudice against anything in general, or, in her case, her being Jewish, was very inspiring and touched the hearts of the theatre. Her closing statement was “If someone tells you that you don’t look or act like your people… you just tell them they don’t look. Period.”

Both Jamaal May and Vanessa Hidary inspired those that witnessed their phenomenal display of talent. Their words, expressed with thrusts of the arm, and animated gestures, touched our ears and our minds with an interesting and relatable perspective on life.

And, with a new perspective and outlook, students departed from the theatre; snapping the whole way out.