• Breaking News Headlines Go Here

Jackie’s Senior Goodbye

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
May 4, 2012
Filed under The 1-2 Remember

As the end of the year draws ever closer (nine glaring days more, at the moment I write this), I have been spectator to many of my emotional peers. High school is being torn out from under them, like a cheap tablecloth trick. I’ll confess I have tried to feel what every high school senior is supposed... Read more »

‘Magic Dragon’ Takes to Sky

‘Magic Dragon’ Takes to Sky

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
April 16, 2012
Filed under Club Corner, Press Releases

The literary magazine of the year, “Magic Dragon,” prepares to take flight as the school year begins to tie up loose ends.  “Magic Dragon” is distinct from the rest of the Literary Magazine class’s stack because, as per tradition, it contains works from the entire student body, as opposed... Read more »

Feel-Good Comedies to Chase the “Home Stretch Blues” Away

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
April 10, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Needless to say, it is now “that” time of year. The downward slope from the midway. Sleepless nights will come in droves—last-minute studying sessions will spill over into the wee hours—the scramble for extra credit will be afoot. Ropes and wits alike will find ends, and these ends will be frayed,... Read more »

AFI Screen Legends List: The Woes of “Underpriced” and “Overlooked” Actors

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
March 13, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

The likes of rock ‘n’ roll and baseball enjoy “halls of fame,” but for film there is little past the Academy Awards, which are fleeting ceremonies in themselves. The closest the classic motion picture industry has is the American Film Institution’s “100 Years…100 Stars” list of American... Read more »

“Artist” Renders Oscars Speechless: The 84th Annual Academy Awards

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
February 29, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Silence is golden—that’s the rule. The 84th Academy Awards, occurring at 8:30pm EST on February 26th, 2012, saw the splendid 2011 feature film The Artist sweep the awards, proving all that glitters is not gold but the Golden Age. The Artist, an entirely black-and-white... Read more »

Make ‘em Laugh: An Ovation for Screwball Comedies

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
February 14, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

“Laughter gives us distance,” once observed Bob Newhart, renowned comedian. “It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it, and then move on.” Such is comedy—a relief, a vacation, a safeness we cannot otherwise harvest on our own. We as humans are drawn to laughter and to those who... Read more »

Wellington High School Successful in 2012 Regional Scholastic Writing Awards

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
February 14, 2012
Filed under Creative Writing

The Scholastic Writing Awards found Wellington High School in the ribbons this year. Two Regional Gold Keys were awarded to Wellington students, including five Regional Silver Keys and eight Honorable Mentions. Senior Victoria Silvagni won a Gold Key in the Flash Fiction category for her story “Murderers.”... Read more »

A Salute to Womanhood: What We Owe to Prominent Ladies of the 1930s

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
January 24, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

It’s that time of year again—Academy Award nominations are in, and I spy with my scrutinizing eye four incredibly worthy leading actresses up for the little statue Bette Davis one day so fatefully baptized “Oscar.” (I say four because I am weakly versed in the career of Glenn Close, who is up... Read more »

Spotlight on Danielle Corrado, Winner of the 2012 Palm Beach Poetry Festival

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
January 19, 2012
Filed under Creative Writing

For those who have had the pleasure of reading or listening to the writing of Danielle Corrado, it provokes little surprise that the junior made off with first place at the 2012 Palm Beach Poetry Festival. Corrado, an esteemed member of the Literary Magazine, has time and again proved herself a maestro... Read more »

‘The Great Gatsby’ Casting Not So Great

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
December 15, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

There is a reason beloved twentieth century masterpiece The Catcher in the Rye was never (and will never be) made into a film—author J. D. Salinger realized the dangers moving pictures posed to his magnum opus. When a literary architect like Salinger steps up to the plate, words are simply... Read more »

Deck the Holidays: Festive Films

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
November 21, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Well, it’s getting to be that time—the most wonderful time, that is—of the year. Much mistletoeing, hearts will be glowing, and so on and so forth, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum. And so, as I stare down the ominous threshold of legal adulthood, I find myself more enchanted—which is... Read more »

The Real McCoy: A Spotlight on Debra Marcus

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
November 16, 2011
Filed under Creative Writing

Everyone who’s anyone knows that the name ‘Debra Marcus’ is one and the same with a celebrated jewel. It represents a senior student who is profound, diligent, and intellectual beyond compare. She has won numerous awards for her writing abilities (including the National Scholastic Award for Poetry... Read more »

Tuning into Talent Unplugged

Jackie Jerkins, Literary & Copy Editor
November 10, 2011
Filed under Club Corner, Press Releases

The Literary Magazine class of 2011-2012 will continue the ringing in of the school year with the much-anticipated Talent Unplugged, a classic among the production crowd favorites. Brimming with good cheer, the December 9th show in the Wellington High School Theater will pack a festive punch,... Read more »

Idea Men Turned Grave Robbers: Hollywood Remakes

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
November 1, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it—so cautions the weary hokum, but it appears that filmmakers have turned a “blind ear” to it. The classic attic is being plundered by the film industry, and three hostages have been reported: Bonnie and Clyde (1967), The Birds (1963),... Read more »

In Memoriam of Steve Jobs: The Ultimate Dreamer

Jackie Jerkins, Copy Editor
October 19, 2011
Filed under News

On Wednesday, October 5, the world lost one of the greatest innovators it has ever known. Steven Paul “Steve” Jobs, co-founder of Apple Inc., passed away at 3 p.m. at his home in California. The cause of death was cited as respiratory failure due to complications... Read more »

Fall Lights Casts Successful Afterglow

Jackie Jerkins, Copy Editor
October 18, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

On Wednesday, October 12, the Literary Magazine class of 2011-2012 introduced the original production of Fall Lights Café, a sister show to last school year’s ultra cool Spring Lights Café. Hosted on the “little courtyard” patio adjacent to Mr. Zucker’s Room 4-105, Fall Lights went off without... Read more »

Fall Lights Illuminates Autumn

Jackie Jerkins, Copy Editor
October 12, 2011
Filed under Club Corner, Press Releases

At 7 p.m. on October 12, the Literary Magazine class will introduce the production of Fall Lights, a show only the second of its kind since the success of last school year’s inaugural Spring Lights. Fall Lights aims to be a more intimate school production, hosted in the back patio of Mr. Zucker’s... Read more »