Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!

The Wave

Candy Craze Pays

Photo credit: Jessica Small

Photo credit: Jessica Small

Photo credit: Jessica Small

Jennifer Melgey, Club Editor

It’s no myth that teenager love candy.  It is not uncommon to see them indulging on M&Ms, Hershey Kisses, Snicker bars, gummy worms, Kit Kats, Twix bars, or one of the many types of other candies available on the market.

Selling candy at Wellington High School seems like the just the perfect way to fundraise.  “Although candy is unhealthy, teens like to buy it, including myself.  It just tastes really good,” Vonshae Cole, freshman, said.

The Marketing Academy uses the school store to sell candy to raise money for their program.  It helps them pay for field trips, guest speakers, and many other things.

Several teachers at WHS also sell candy.  “All of the candy sales that I get go towards Adopt-A-Cat Club,” said Mrs. Inglis, Journalism and English teacher.

Gym teachers also participate in selling candy for fundraising.  All of the money they raise goes towards the physical education
department to make it better as a whole.

Although a great way to fundraise, it’s no surprise to anyone that candy is unhealthy.  It’s filled with saturated fats, sugars, and
a lot of calories.  These contribute to problems such as high cholesterol, cavities, weight gain, diabetes, obesity, and overall poor nutrition.

America is riddled with people that have bad eating habits.  Twenty percent of the population is said to be obese.  These unhealthy habits usually develop when the person is young, especially in the teen years.

Although it makes sense to ban junk food in school, improving what we teach about nutrition and requiring more physical activity are better ways to approach obesity than imposing statewide junk-food bans,” John Dively, Executive Director of the Illinois Principal Association, said.

A lot of students agree that candy should be continued to be sold at school, but healthier snacks should be sold alongside of it.  “Even though I think schools should sell candy, they should give students a choice if they want something healthier,” Andrea Estevez, freshman, said.

Even though candy is unhealthy, it still continues to help raise money for important causes.  Students should be able to decide, though, if they want a healthier choice.

• Candy Craze Pays

Student Life

Sweethearts for the Stay

• Candy Craze Pays

Arts & Entertainment

Chance Makes History

• Candy Craze Pays

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Animal Abuse Accusations

• Candy Craze Pays

Opinion

Age Bias in Elections

• Candy Craze Pays

Sports

Football Game Summary

• Candy Craze Pays

Press Releases

Homecoming Events

• Candy Craze Pays

News

Hurricane Hacks

• Candy Craze Pays

Student Life

A Brand New Exposure: The Future of Photo Club

• Candy Craze Pays

News

Supreme Court Split on Texas Abortion Case

• Candy Craze Pays

Student Life

Daniel Clein- Charity Visionary

Candy Craze Pays