ThinkPink Dodge Ball Tournament Raises $2,000

Jessica Small, Sports Editor
March 12, 2012
Filed under Student Life

On the night of February 24, the Wellington High School Gym was transformed into an intense site of excitement. The annual ThinkPink Dodge ball tournament was held to raise money for breast cancer research.

“I think it’s a great and creative way to make money,” Allison Weiner, junior, said.

Club members, like Weiner, came together to set up concession and ticket tables in the lobby, and two separate dodge ball courts were created within the gym. This year, the courts had to be a little different. No adhesive tape could be placed on the sealed, gym floor. This made it difficult to set definite boundaries for the courts. Volunteers worked the entire night to keep the cones in place.

The first tournament was for middle school players. Teams from several schools within Palm Beach County created teams to compete, which started at 5:30 on the night of the event. Nine teams played. In the end, a group of bold girls in pink won the prize, thanks to a star player who continuously kept them in the game.

As the night progressed, high school spectators and players began filing into the gym. Instantly, a sense of competition and an even stronger sense of excitement seemed to fill the air.

The high school tournament began promptly at 7:30. The teams were dressed to impress, each one having their own style to compliment their team name. The tournament continued on for the next two hours.

Even the teams that didn’t advance rounds were enthusiastic. They played against each other, just for fun, whenever a spare court opened up.

The teams that were still in the actual tournament gave it their all. For the entire night, not one player gave up. Team “Expendables” was a great example of this.

Allison Weiner and Samantha Pescatore - ThinkPink Volunteers

“We knew we couldn’t win first or second place, but that didn’t stop us from giving it our all. It was a truly awesome night. And because we never gave up, we ended up placing third! I’m definitely playing next year,” James Curtiss, junior, said.

By the end of the night, nearly $2,000 was raised. This money is added to the yearly account, which then is donated at the beginning of next school year.

“I think the tournament was definitely a successful night, because everybody had a ton of fun. It goes to something great and I’m glad to be a part of it,” Weiner said.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!