Screen Shot 2014-03-31 at 7.49.13 AM

Weekly Cutest Pet Contest

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
March 31, 2014  

The WHS Wave is pleased to introduce our new weekly Cutest Pet Contest. Check our website every Monday to view our winners! Week of March 31-April 4, 2014 Congratulations to our winners, Kelsie Boudreau, senior, and her dog Bailey! Week of March 10-14, 2014 Congratulations to Angela Arena,... Read More

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 7.45.45 PM

A Non-Belieber’s Take on Celebrity Bullying

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
February 11, 2014  

“What’s the difference between a Justin Bieber CD and a mosquito? If you slap a mosquito, it will stop sucking. Why is Justin Bieber so pale? Because there’s no light in the closet. I really hope it’s the end of the world tomorrow. Sure everybody will be dead, but look on the bright... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 7.55.18 PM

WHS Community Service System Shrouded with Gray Areas

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
December 18, 2013  

The spirit of the holiday season typically reminds people to give back to those less fortunate and students at Wellington High have a lot of opportunities to do so. From food drives to the annual Rosenwald trip, a wide variety of charitable projects are available at WHS. These help not only... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.45.36 AM

Pocketful of Inequality

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
December 11, 2013  

Ushering in an age of plunging necklines and dresses that seem to grope rather than simply hug curves, women’s fashion has come a long way since the days of stiff collars and modest petticoats. Gowns gave way to bloomers, ultimately leading up to the modern skinny jeans populating the halls... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 8.40.16 PM

WHS Band Proudly Salutes Veterans with First Annual Concert

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
November 11, 2013  

The Wellington High School Wind Ensemble performed its first annual “A Salute to Veterans” concert Monday, November 11, in the WHS Amphitheater.  Presented to a large audience that included many local veterans, the concert was a successful tribute to all the men and women who have served... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 11.37.01 AM

Appreciating College Apps

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
October 17, 2013  

America finds sick pleasure in complaining about and ridiculing its own higher education system. Students are surrounded by headlines decrying the university system, then questioning its relevance, then continuing to support it by releasing the latest college rankings. Lying in the middle of... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 9.43.01 AM

Homecoming 2013 Dance Photos

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
September 22, 2013  

Those in attendance at Wellington’s Homecoming Dance took the Under the Sea theme to heart, dancing until they were drenched in sweat by the end of the night. Click on any image to view in full on a separate page. Click on the image again to view at a larger size. #gallery-1 { margin:... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-09-18 at 9.06.41 AM

Back-To-School Apps Make Studying Easier

Sabrina Abesamis, Editor-in-Chief
September 18, 2013  

For some teens, coming back to school may seem like a dreaded return to boring textbooks, tediously made note cards and disorganized planners. However, many WHS students—and even some teachers—are beginning to embrace the new slew of smart phone applications geared toward improving study... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 10.00.39 PM

WHS Band Performs 360-Degree Concert

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
May 9, 2013  

The Mighty Wolverine Sound played its last concert of the year on Thursday night. Performing its annual Surround Sound 3.0 Concert at the WHS auditorium, the band ended the school year on a high note. “This is our last show,” said senior Ryan Dargan, “so it’s a pretty big deal.” Throughout... Read More

How to Cram for an AP Exam

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
May 3, 2013  

Worried about AP exams? Well, fret no more. Here are some surefire ways to cram for the dreaded end of the year tests. Step 1. Focus. So you’ve been slacking all year and haven’t read the book? No biggie. Start by actually focusing on the subject. The reason you need to cram now is probably... Read More

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 10.32.36 PM

Facebook Fads Fail

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
April 24, 2013  

Everyone talks about how revolutionary Facebook is. “Experts” discuss the endless feats (i.e. finding a long lost brother, starting a civil war) that social media can help accomplish. So naturally, American teens have begun embracing these possibilities. Our methods however have proved... Read More

2013_02_forumclub_group3

WHS Debaters Meet Gov. Rick Scott

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
February 21, 2013  

Wellington Debaters met Governor Rick Scott Monday afternoon at the Forum Club of the Palm Beaches. The luncheon included the chance to hear a speech from Governor Scott and the unique opportunity to ask him a question. Senior Rachel Ganon asked about the feasibility... Read More

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 10.35.53 PM

Charitable Darwinism: Such a thing as too much charity?

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
February 20, 2013  

The competition is fierce, cutthroat. The weak are picked off by those that are stronger, faster, better. Society has largely accepted Darwin’s theory of natural selection. We understand it, live by it, even take advantage of its laws. Yet, we shy away from the desire to apply these same... Read More

13 Facts about 2013

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
January 28, 2013  

Though countdown lists are typically reserved for the end of the year, with the welcome start of 2013, the WHS Wave has compiled its own List of Top Thirteen Upcoming Events/Predictions for the next twelve months. From entertainment to politics, students should prepare for an interesting year. 1.... Read More

Online College is Legit?

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
December 19, 2012  

It’s that time of year again! Do I mean the joyful holiday season? Of course not. Obviously, I’m referring to the exciting upcoming months of stressed anticipation and hopeful dread. That’s right, colleges are beginning to send out admissions letters, meaning that the season of path-determining... Read More

Pakistani_Malala_Yousafzai

Malala’s Malady: The Continued Fight For Women’s Rights in Pakistan

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
December 3, 2012  

The past week has brought mixed news for Malala Yousufzai. Recent updates have confirmed her remarkable, even miraculous, recovery after she was shot twice by the Pakistani Taliban in mid-October on her way to school. Most recently, the Daily Mail reported that she and her family plan on remaining... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.37.20 PM

Politically Charged Teens Defy Expectations

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
October 31, 2012  

“Our youth now love luxury…They have bad manners, contempt for authority…They contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers.” Many consider this an accurate depiction of my generation these days, and this quote basically summarizes what many adults perceive as an alarming... Read More

Big Blue Suffers the Blues

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
October 1, 2012  

Wellington High School is suffering from an epidemic. Not cholera or swine flu, but something more insidious, one that threatens the very foundations of school and the rest of our lives: apathy. Despite SGA’s attempts to encourage more pep, the majority of the student body lacks a general... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.14.00 PM

The Truth About Media Bias

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
September 14, 2012  

It’s 2012 and most people think the world is falling apart. Our government is broken and useless, corporations are taking away our jobs and banks are finding new ways to steal our money. Now more recently, society has found yet another institution to criticize: the media itself. With the... Read More

keyclub-banner-298x195

Key Club Hosts Spring Fling

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
April 24, 2012  

Key Club helped host the Annual Kiwanis Spring Fling, a party thrown for foster families.  Last Saturday, April 14, Ocean Reef Park was filled with laughter and cheer as children and parents alike were treated to food, face painting and arts and crafts.  Games included wild scavenger hunts... Read More

bully-movie-poster

Movies Must Play Unfair Ratings Game

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
April 18, 2012  

The Hunger Games continues to break box office records as it earned hundreds of millions of dollars in just a few short weeks. Yet, if not for Lionsgate making the conscious choice to tone down the original book’s violence of teens killing teens, the movie probably wouldn’t have raked in... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.41.49 PM

Free Speech Bill Inspires Controversy

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
March 30, 2012  

Students at Florida public schools will soon be able to say whatever they want at school events. Be it political statements or prayers, these “inspirational messages” could be presented uncensored at any mandatory school assembly. Ridiculous as this may seem, the Florida House passed SB... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.22.48 PM

Law to Grade Parents Can Only Fail

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
February 21, 2012  

As test scores continue to lag, Florida lawmaker Kelli Stargel is proposing bill HB 255, which would allow teachers to grade the parents of their students. However, evaluation systems for parents could only serve to further our nation’s gratuitous obsession with grades and standardized tests.... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.25.09 PM

Students Should Still Stay in School

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
January 18, 2012  

It’s practically guaranteed that everyone knows at least one person struggling with student loan debt. However, it’s also safe to assume everyone knows at the very least two people with a successful career, all thanks to their college degrees. We cannot allow the recent uproar over the... Read More

Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 5.15.56 PM

Wikipedia Blacking Out

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
January 17, 2012  

Wikipedia plans to black out its entire English website on Wednesday, January 18 to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA). The two congressional bills would prevent American Internet sites from sharing or even linking to  illegal, copyrighted material, including... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.32.52 PM

Occupy Wall Street Movement Endures

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
November 22, 2011  

The Occupy Wall Street protests reached a chaotic climax last Tuesday morning when the NYPD unexpectedly made multiple arrests in Zuccotti Square. Mayor Michael Bloomberg authorized the surprise raid of the two-month encampment, which resulted in an estimated 200 arrests. Later in the evening,... Read More

Blocked Page

Internet Censorship Continues to Evolve

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
November 20, 2011  

While technology has gradually embedded itself into the curricula of many Palm Beach students, the state of Internet censorship continues to evolve. Recently, new reforms to the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) are leading to changes in the way children and teens will be allowed... Read More

Key Club Helps Quantum House Celebrate

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
November 15, 2011  

Wellington’s Key Club helped Quantum House, a family residence hall for children receiving treatment at St. Mary’s Medical Center, celebrate its ten year anniversary last Saturday with a flurry of games and activities. The lively event included face painting, arts and crafts, karaoke,... Read More

Screen shot 2013-01-17 at 7.27.45 PM

Colleges Rely on Biased SAT/ACT

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
October 30, 2011  

As seniors start to experience the pressure of college applications this fall, almost every single one will be sending in an SAT or ACT score along with their résumé. The mere mention of these standardized tests usually brings fear into the eyes of a majority of high school upperclassmen.... Read More

Concern Rises Over Teens’ Political Awareness

Sabrina Abesamis, Opinion Editor
October 9, 2011  

These days it seems as though the apocalypse is just around the corner. With dwindling resources and a disastrous job market, concern is rising over the new generation that will inherit many of these social problems. A majority of teens have focused their attention on reality TV and social... Read More

keyclub banner

Unlocking the Door to Service

Sabrina Abesamis, Staff Writer
October 6, 2011  

Wellington’s Key Club is hitting the ground running with a variety of activities to start off the school year. One of their last events for the month of October will be cooking dinner at Quantum House. It is an internationally recognized support home for children receiving treatment in Palm... Read More

Extreme Makeover Show Films on Campus

Sabrina Abesamis, Staff Writer
September 21, 2011  

ABC Television’s hit show, Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, filmed its finale in the Wellington High School Theater in front of a live audience composed of locals. One of this summer’s highest rated shows documented a Wellington resident’s journey to lose weight, with the help of... Read More