• Current News

Wellington High School Successful in 2012 Regional Scholastic Writing Awards

Victoria Silvagni receives her Regional Gold Key Award.

Jackie Jerkins, Literary Editor
February 14, 2012

The Scholastic Writing Awards found Wellington High School in the ribbons this year. Two Regional Gold Keys were awarded to Wellington students, including five Regional Silver Keys and eight Honorable Mentions.

Senior Victoria Silvagni won a Gold Key in the Flash Fiction category for her story “Murderers.” Debra Marcus, senior, one a prestigious portfolio Gold Key for a Personal Essay/Memoir  with “Fragile,” a Short Story with “In July,” and for poems  consisting of “On Leaving Love;” “Circus-Water;” “In Conclusion;” “Musings;” and “Miracle Girl.”

Sara Fabben, senior, took a Silver Key in the Flash Fiction category with her story “Suburban Alcoholic.” Debra Marcus added to her trove a Silver Key for both her poetry collection (comprised of “On Leaving Love,” “Imaginative Eyes,” and “In Conclusion”) and her short story “In July.” Mary Miller, senior, won a Silver Key in the Flash Fiction category for her story “Atwood.” Junior Daniel Smith received a Silver Key in the Humor category for his piece “Musing While Watching Channel 314.”

Juliana Diatezua, sophomore, won an Honorable Mention for her short story “We Fight the Darkness.” Sara Fabben received an Honorable Mention for her portfolio consisting of the works “Blue Eyes,” “Dances With Wolves,” and “Withered.” Fabben also received an Honorable Mention for her writing portfolio in Flash Fiction with “Suburban Alcoholic” and an additional Honorable Mention for her writing portfolio in Poetry with “The Rose,” “Lend Me a Light,” “Perfection,” and “63:17:43.” Junior Kelsey Foster received an Honorable Mention for Humor with her story “Generic Festive Beverage.” Senior Jacqueline Jerkins received an Honorable Mention for her poetry collection “Roaring.” Sierra Pelizza, junior, received an Honorable Mention for her short story “Two Years Passed.” Michael Reynolds, junior received an Honorable mention in Flash Fiction for his story “Brothers.”

Victoria Silvagni’s “Murderers” has also been nominated for an American Voices Award.